Today’s author is Liz Sebag-Montefiore, 10Eighty’s Founding Director who has provided HR solutions to a wide range of industries since 2005,
working with numerous firms to understand their needs and is a great believer in the power and intelligence of networking.
The Chinese New Year will be celebrated all over the globe as it starts today and continues right through to 25th February.
This year, is the year of Pig. Pigs are the twelfth sign in the zodiac and are seen as independent, sincere, loyal and decisive, who aren’t afraid of difficulties in life.
New Year goals
We know that by this time in February many of us are already giving up on the resolutions we set ourselves at the start of the year. At 10Eighty, we see the Chinese New Year as a time to reflect and reboot the resolutions and career goals we made at the beginning of 2019.
So, we thought it was appropriate to offer you some advice on what you should be doing to enhance your career in 2019.
10 things you should do
- It might sound simple, but create time to think about your career.
- Write down where you would like to be or have achieved in terms of personal development in 12 months time.
- Seek feedback from someone who knows you well as to whether this goal is attainable.
- Write down a plan of what you need to put in place to achieve the objective.
- Set yourself 2 or 3 milestones which you will need to achieve in order to reach your overall goal.
- Identify within your network 2/3 people with whom you have a strong relationship and they have power of influence i.e. if they put in a call on your behalf, the recipient will take it, and make them aware of your career plan for this year.
- Share your career plan with your boss or one of his/her peers.
- Set yourself the task of helping 5 people in your network, what you do is not important, provided it adds value to them.
- Set time aside to understand your personal brand. What is it you want to be known for? Think of two things you need to do to enhance that personal brand.
- Commit to spending time to learn a new skill or to increase your knowledge in a subject area that will increase your employability.
Our Career Ladders app for Apple and Android devices, will help you assess your key strengths and weaknesses in respect of your career. Play the game to check how you’re managing your career, it takes less than 10 minutes to complete. Play it again a few months later to check how you’re doing.
Now, buy in some beer, cook up a Chinese fake-away and share some fortune cookies around, there’s a whole near year ahead